The more observant readers will be wondering why I’m back so early….
Well, the answer is quite simple…
For the first time ever I decided to cut a walk short. It was no easy decision, but on reflection I still believe it was the right one.
The weather for the walk was pretty atrocious on the whole, that is with the exception of a few hours on Day 2’s morning. From the off there was plenty of rain. At one point it was cold enough that the rain became snow!
Rain, whilst problematic, was not the cause for the walk being curtailed. The real enemy was the wind. It was the wind that eventually prompted me to cancel the walk on Day 3.
Day 3 was supposed to be an easy day, one that was planned to be mostly on tracks, that way I could recover from the expected gruelling cross-country walking of Day 2. However, in the event, Day 3 would prove much worse.
I was heading Westward on a track, which should have been easy going, but the wind was so strong that I found it genuinely difficult to make any forward progress. Even breathing was difficult.
I found myself walking for around 10-20 paces, then having to turn so that my back was to the weather to allow me to recover for the next stint. Progress was painfully slow.
The plan was to hike to Princetown, and then from there carry on with section 2 of that day’s walk. However, given my slow progress, and the reduction of my will to carry on, I decided that I would call it a day and arranged for my brother in Plymouth to come and get me.
Whilst waiting, I started shivering and noticed that for the first time, my entire upper body was wet. Even putting on the down jacket did little to warm me. I guess the Gore-Tex Pro finally wetted out after 3 days of abuse
Given my lack of will to carry on and the state of my kit, I guess it was a good call, especially as the subsequent day’s weather was more of the same.
When I got back to Civilisation I was curious as to what the wind strength actually was. It turned out that it ranged from 30mph for 24 mtrs elevation to 51mph for 621 mtrs elevation. A lot of Day 3 was at around the 400 mtr mark. So I guess I was getting around 40 mph worth of wind and rain. That would go a long way toward explaining the physical exertion required on the walk!
Despite this set-back, there was one silver lining from the walk…
I finally managed to meet up with fellow bloggers at Crockern Farm! If you want to know more you will have to tune in for Day 3’s account.
The walked route was as follows:
With an elevation profile of:
In terms of kit, the Olympus TG-4 Camera put in a sterling effort and proved to be exceptionally frugal with the batteries. Plus as an added bonus, its startup time is exceptionally quick, which helps with my snap-happy style of photography 🙂
As alluded to earlier, the Gore-Tex Pro didn’t fair so well. I guess there is a limit to how many days of rain that material can keep off. The real test will be to see if they go back to being waterproof when next used, or whether they will wet out straight away.
Either way, I can’t help thinking that I would have been better off with a cheap plastic mac. But that’s a conversation for another day….
Anyways if you want to know more, tune in next week for Day 1’s account!