Lunchtime today was the final decision window with regard to whether or not to proceed with the next walk.
A quick perusal of the Met Office mountain weather forecast revealed some rather high winds
I’ve been up in the mountains in high winds before. On that occasion I was blown off my feet twice – a remarkable achievement given the weight of the kit I was carrying. That was during a rather cold walk on the Black Mountains back in 2013.
The result of that walk was an injured wrist, followed by the quickest descent I could muster in the difficult conditions!
I can hike in a variety of poor weather, but high winds are arguably for me, the most dangerous.
It could be that I’m over-reacting, as it is hard to gauge when I’m the only one making the decision. I guess this explains why I’m currently second guessing myself as to whether I have made the correct decision. But in many ways it would be all too easy to green-light a walk in the name of bravado.
One thing for sure, I don’t want to be the one calling out Mountain Rescue because of a poor decision on may part. Besides the way I look at it, the Mountains will still be there for another day – it’s not like they are going anywhere!
There is a potential silver lining in that after a discussion that I had with JohnBoy over on http://overthehillsblog.com, I think I will alter my plans and make an attempt on Tryfan – a mountain I’ve had my eyes on for a long time.
It’s now up to the weather and whether my employer will be able to release me in the near future.
btw: I can neither confirm nor deny that I was going to be climbing Moel-Siabod on this walk! 🙂