‘Whether the weather be fine,
Whether the weather be not,
Whether the weather,
Whatever the weather,
Whether it be sunny or not!’
This was an old tongue twister I picked up whilst at school. Over the last few weeks it seems to have bubbled up to the surface in my mind, completely out of no where!
For those that don’t know, Britain has been gripped by one storm after another this year. It’s caused extensive flooding, damage and unfortunately some untimely deaths.
However, the medium range weather forecasts seemed to indicate that I could make a viable 6 day walk in the Lake District starting this Saturday. But alas, my hopes were dashed after reviewing the Met Office website and seeing the above page. It was with a heavy heart that I made the decision to postpone this walk.
The thought of negotiating blizzard conditions at over 300 metres elevation, which as it happens is most of my planned route, seemed a little unsavoury, especially as I have no winter skills training.
On top of that, the final nail in the coffin was the news that the Amazon ‘Express Delivery’ of a pair of ‘Pogu mini-trail crampons’ would in fact not be delivered on Friday as planned.
Without this essential piece of kit – Thanks Martin Rye over at http://www.summitandvalley.com/ for the recommendation 🙂 – I have decided that to proceed to the Lakes without them would be irresponsible given the likelihood of extensive ice.
The good news is that the delay will enable me to get my mitts on an ice axe, crampons, goggles and snow shovel for the next scheduled date.
I’m hoping the weather will be better then, but I’m also hoping that there will still be some snow about! 🙂